My Favorite Color is Moda - Blocks 7-9
My Favorite Color is Moda - Blocks 7-9
So long technical difficulties! We’re talking about Blocks 7, 8 & 9 of the My Favorite Color is Moda sampler quilt-along this month.
If you haven’t joined in on the quilt-along yet, there’s always time to catch up! Check with your local quilt shop for the pattern and any fabric or kits they’ve put together. We’ll be sharing a new block or blocks on the First Tuesday of every month for the rest of 2021.
Note: If you’re sewing ahead, check the end of this post for all current pattern corrections.
This month, we’re featuring blocks made using the Trading Post Bella Solids colorway. This palette is full of warm neutrals, with just a pop of Lagoon (9900 270) which gives the whole quilt a Southwest feeling that we just love. If you need us this winter, we’ll be curled up in front of a fire with some hot cocoa and this Trading Post quilt!
The three blocks for this month are different sized versions of the same ‘block.’ Finishing at 18”, 13.5” and 9” respectively, these blocks provide a visual break from all of the Half Square Triangles in the overall quilt. And a surely welcome break from MAKING quite so many HST’s in June for our sewists!
These Trading Post Bellas are one of my personal favorite colorways, because so often as quilters, we gravitate toward color color color. And trust me, I LOVE color. But stepping back to work in a limited color palette or a palette of more neutrals can bring something different to any sewing project. Maybe it lays a base for your quilting to really pop over a simpler background. Or maybe you’re looking for a ‘masculine’ quilt to thank your husband/brother/son/friend for all of their quilt modeling over the years!
Or maybe it turns into a table topper that fits seamlessly into your decor rather than jumping out. These colors are full of style, and make a perfect accent for whatever you’re serving! Without spoiling too much of the My Favorite Color pattern itself, which you can purchase at your local quilt shop, let me tell you how to get the cuts you need for this 18”x45” table topper project:
- (10) F8’s of Trading Post Bella Solids
- 1/3 yard for binding / (4) 2.5” x width of fabric strips (9900 41 Chocolate shown)
- 26”x53” backing of your choice
With 10 Blocks and 10 Fabrics, you will mix and match so that each color appears in each ‘position’ A, B and C. Cut as follows:
- Position A: Cut (2) 4” squares for corner HST’s
- Position B: Cut (2) 4” squares for corner HST’s; Cut (4) 2”x3.5” rectangles
- Position C: Cut (1) 3.5” square for center; Cut (4) 2”x3.5” rectangles
Assemble following the My Favorite Color Is Moda sampler instructions for Block 9, and then join into two rows of 5 blocks each. Join your rows, baste, quilt, bind and enjoy!
And don’t forget, neutrals come in prints too! Alli K, whose debut collection Illustrations is in shops now, works almost exclusively in shades of white, gray and black in her floral murals, fabric, and product design. Just for fun, here’s this table topper project in her fabrics, for a completely different look.
With that, enjoy sewing up your Blocks 7, 8 and 9 this June! Make sure to share your blocks on social media using #MyFavoriteColorIsModa this month so we can follow along with your progress. We’ll be sharing photos and blocks from the hashtag throughout the quilt-along. And for those checking in looking for the winner of the Kai Rotary Cutter giveaway from May, congratulations to Joyce, @djfsquared!
For a PDF of this blog post - My Favorite Color is Moda Blocks 7-9
That's it for this month!
MFCIM Pattern Correction Notes:
- BLOCK 17: In the ‘Piecing’ section, the third block pairing reads correctly that you should use Fabric 1 & 6 to make HST. However, the thumbnail image for the HST shows the incorrect fabrics, they should be the Green and Pink for Fabrics 1 and 6. All of the cutting instructions are correct for the block.
- BLOCK 18: In the ‘Piecing’ section, the thumbnail images for the block components are correct, but the fabrics listed for each are wrong. The first thumbnail needs Fabric 1 & 9, and the second thumbnail need Fabric 8 & 1. All of the cutting instructions are correct for the block.
We will continue to list any pattern corrections in these blog posts for your reference.
If you have missed any of the prior My Favorite Color is Moda posts: